Rhythmic Rain...

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Top sixers!

I didn’t start off thinking this would be so hard to do…but seriously…you should try it. It’s fun really. Think of what your six most favourite Hindi and English movies would be. Here are mine – for the time being anyway – in random order. Let me tell you now…I am a bit biased when it comes to certain actors!

HINDI
1. Swades (Shahrukh at his best. Ashutosh Gwalikor is a brilliant director. AR Rehman’s music…enough said! There are parts of this movie that could be in an art film!) Down point: What down point?? It is a SHAHRUKH movie!!! Verdict: 5 stars!
2. Lagaan (Aamir Khan literally held a practically unknown cast together brilliantly! By the end of the movie the entire hall was shouting and cheering! Very entertaining movie indeed!) Down point: since the movie is so long, it’s hard to want to watch this movie more than once. Verdict: 4 stars!
3. Padosan (Starring Saira Banu, Kishore Kumar, Sunil Dutt and Mehmood, this is by far the funniest Hindi move ever created! With fun songs, and some hilarious scenes, this movie is a must-see for people wanting brainless fun! Down point: The story’s end is quite silly. The fun is in the first 75% of the movie. Verdict: 4 stars!
4. Chupke Chupke (Hilarious! Amitabh Bachan, Sharmilla Tagore, Dharmendra and a whole lot of other people…all pretending to be someone else! Great plot, nice story and hilarious dialogues! Great job Amit ji!) Verdict: 4 stars!
5. Hungama (This is the closest to PG Wodehouse I have ever seen a Hindi movie get! The plotline is brilliant! Simply brilliant!) Down point: the songs are quite sad really. Verdict: 4 stars!
6. Main Hoon Na (Another Shahrukh movie! Patriotism and his typical Shahrukh humour totally hooks the audience! I couldn’t stop laughing at the hall!) Down point: It did get a bit silly at points, I think that knitting teacher could have toned down the dramatics) Verdict: 4 and half stars!

ENGLISH
1. My Fair Lady (“You will earn much better with the Lord if you learn not to offend his ears!”) Down point: Kind of long. It is annoying to watch this movie with someone who is impatient! Verdict: 5 stars!
2. Oscar (I’ve only seen this one once. The main character Oscar, never actually comes onto the screen. Lovely plot, hilarious outcomes! Money getting mixed up with underwear all the time!!) Verdict: 4 stars!
3. A Few Good Men (“You can’t handle the truth!”I love good court scenes! Intelligent lawyers vs. each other! Gripping plotline! Helps that the lawyer was Tom Cruise!) Down point: None whatsoever! Verdict: 5 stars!
4. Notting Hill (Hugh Grant love story! Enough said!) Down point: I have never seen the beginning of this movie! Verdict (nonetheless): 4 stars!
5. Die Another Day (Thrilling movie! I love the whole Bond character! Pierce Brosnan is definitely the best James Bond! “You were expecting someone else?”) Down point: Hmmm… Verdict: 4 stars!
6. Laws of attraction (Cute…! She said “You wouldn’t want to be married to someone like me” and he said “How do you know?” Aww) Down point: This moives drags at points… Verdict: 4 stars!

These are mine…! What are yours??

7 Comments:

  • At 2:25 am, February 24, 2005, Blogger Meghna said…

    Hey Sneha! Thanks for posting. I noticed that you are not a Hindi movie fan! =D Why am I not surprised? Anyway, I like most of the movies you mentioned, with the exception of the ones I haven’t seen, and Forest Gump. I can almost see your eyes popping out of your head, but I never could relate to that movie. Maybe it is my circumstance that doesn’t allow me to…but I will admit that Tom Hanks is an excellent actor.

    I differentiate very obviously between my favourite-entertainment-movies and my favourite-serious-films. Obviously, this list for the former! I have a completely different list for the latter… It would probably include movies like Life Is Beautiful…Phenomenon…The Majestic…The Firm and most of the movies in your list. I didn’t think that Laws of Attraction was that WOW either…but it was cute! And the Bond movies – whatever you say about them – are very entertaining!! Despite how unrealistic they are, they are fun! I think we need some brainlessness more often than not, and about 90% of the movies in my list give just that! Yours is a different category! Though I still think that Notting Hill is the best romantic movie ever! Though definitely closely followed by You’ve Got Mail! =D

     
  • At 8:29 am, February 24, 2005, Blogger D. said…

    Out of your top ten, Ihave seen two. (Notting Hill and, of course, the most wonderful My Fair Lady) Does this mean I need to get out more or something? Now, top ten *books*...there's a good list...

    Oh, and Nandini? Word on the 'Minority Report' thing! Not true to the book (and now the refrain 'What, there's a *book*?'), but a cool movie with decent acting and awesome special effects - oh yes, and a nice plot. I almost fangirl over it.
    I hate Bond movies, though (Except for 'Octopussy', which made me ;augh for some weird reason. I'm a sad, strange person sometimes.)

    Anyhow, my list? Lessee...I can't say Hindi (bah I don't speak Hindi and don't watch Hindi movies), but here's my favourite English:

    My Fair Lady ('Nuff sed!)

    Star Wars (Original Trilogy) - (If you haven't seen 'A New Hope', you truly have NOT lived. It is possibly the best. Movie. Ever.)

    Beautiful Mind (This film deserved all the praise it gets. Math AND mental disorders...ah, Noldo feels in paradise...)

    Minority Report (Not true-to-book, like I said. Still, it's got neat special effects, plots and subplots, and computers to die for. Must-watch.)

    The Princess Bride (Laugh at me all you want, this movie was so ADORABLE! Acting = decent, humour = TEH KEWLIES 4 EVA OMG!!!!!!!! (Uh, yeah.) It was perhaps the cutest movie that I've ever seen, and I could watch it all year.)


    I seem to be a sci-fi/fantasy buff, no? I can't bear overly emotional movies most of the time because I get enough of that from reading and writing. Somehow watching it doesn't feel nice.

    And notice that LotR wasn't there? I'm a fan but not that much. I <3 the books but think the movies are Sithspawn (Uh, Star Wars joke...) - no plot, no characterisation, no substance, so much deviation from the revered Tolkien text...


    All right, I'll can it before I bore you to death. Consider the apologies made.

     
  • At 3:38 am, February 25, 2005, Blogger Meghna said…

    I think I'm going to annoy two of you by saying this. (but I'm going to anyway...because I can't take it anymore!) The only thing that is actually stupid here...is comparing the book to the movie in the first place. Print and screen are two completely different media. You can't expect a scene by scene copy-paste of the books. You aren't doing the writer OR the director by comparing the book to the movie. THAT is actually the only injustice in question here...

     
  • At 3:45 am, February 25, 2005, Blogger D. said…

    Oooh, yay, someone who did know. xD It was a short story (30 pages or so). I happen to know this because I went and bought the bloody thing.

    And you aren't boring me, at least. I totally agree! Frodo, Faramir, the lack of Glorfindel, Elrond...Faramir came across as evil, Elrond came across as 'OMG TEH MEEN!' because he didn't like humans (This from the Half-elven! HALF! And they didn't even mention that!), Frodo wasn't really the scholarly type with a silent burden that he was meant to be...
    Yes, you're right about the Ring too - frankly, it just looked like 'Ooh. It's pretty' - as a mater of fact, Gollum looked a lot more harmful than the Ring itself by the end of the movie.
    And then there were the green ghosts, which I could go on about all day - but I reckon I won't, as Meghna (Hi Meghna! Are you bored yet?) will likely dismember me for turning her 'Top Ten Movies' post into the 'LotR was a better book!' post. Apologies, Meghna, and do kindly let me keep my limbs...?

     
  • At 1:32 am, February 26, 2005, Blogger Prax said…

    Hmmm...top ones would be

    Kal Ho Na HoDon't you remember how the whole crowd and laughed with SRK, and the storyline coupled with excellent humor? TRILLIANT

    Ice AgeYes that animation, heart touching

    True LiesEraserBack to the future I and IIOh! I just loved it

    Jurrasic Park I and IIIThe Truman showKabhi Khushi Kabhi GhamSarfaroshGood will huntingIt was a short movie, but worth every second

    Tomorrow Never Dies/ Die Another DayI know its old I just freaked out on the car and the tech display

    Jeez I am one movie addict, the list simply wont stop... ;-)

     
  • At 8:57 am, February 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi mia
    these are my faves!...
    hindi...(not in order!)
    dil chata hai!
    kal ho naa ho
    mission kashmir
    fiza
    lagaan!
    english
    a beautiful mind
    shindlers list
    rush hour one and two
    lion king!
    shrek one and two!
    aladdin....(i no i no but i cant help they will always be my faves!!!!)
    oceans twelve
    meet the parents!

     
  • At 8:58 am, February 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sorry the last post was me ! nanya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home