Rhythmic Rain...

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Srishti

Srishti had their graduation day yesterday. Since Sucheta’s mom teaches there, she was going anyway, and invited me to go along. My mom had also been invited separately since she’s HOD at the communications department at MCC. So Sucheta, her family, my mom and I went for the Srishti graduation show.

The art college is just near Aditi. It is huge large campus. Calm and beautiful. The place just radiates creativity. It has an amphitheatre kind of stage, the audience to be seated on stone, at the end of a large field.
Just as you walk in, there is a huge wall with a Madhubani mural. In fact, all over the college, there are murals. Every wall, every pillar, has some sort of artwork on it. What would have otherwise been an unremarkable corridor suddenly lights up. By the time you have walked in, there is no doubt that it is an art college.

The entire place had different things to see.
The graduating students had done projects on topics they had picked themselves – some on what they did on an internship, or a concept they wanted to pursue, or an issue that concerned them. I had gone there with an expectation of it being slightly pretentious, I must admit, but I was surprised to see the enthusiasm and effort put into some of those projects.
One girl, for example, had created this small corner of a room for furniture that she had designed. The chair and the table that she had designed were, she said, inspired from origami. The whole table and chair set is foldable! It was so cool! She had also designed a construction kit for children that starts with two basic shapes and gets built up to a complicated dome! It is amazing! She combines her love for design with her love for geometry!

But there were others, whose projects were quite pretentious. I found, in many places, that people just forced symbolism into things. I mean, pick up anything – anything – and it can be philosophical or a metaphor for something else! That doesn’t mean that one makes everything sound more fancy by forcing a philosophical meaning onto it.
There was this “contemporary” dance that we saw – I only saw one, apparently the ones later were a lot better – that was basically a girl in an elastic white tube. She never came out of it; she just kept stretching her hands and face through the material. There is a very fine line beyond which abstract art loses meaning. After a point, it stops being abstract art, and starts being just weird. Generally, contemporary dance leaves you awestruck; wondering how someone can move that way. But seeing this one, I simply found myself wondering “What is she doing?!”

Apparently the band was amazing! I never got to see them since I left too soon! But all in all the evening was quite cool. I met some really committed and interesting people, and got to see a place that lived on art and creativity. It was a world quite alien to me, but it was interesting to get a glimpse of it. It was nice to see that there are places that nurture this talent as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home