Rhythmic Rain...

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Soul searching

All this talk on atheism kind of got me thinking. I’ve kind of always taken the idea of God for granted. Though I am sure that I believe in there being one, I’m not quite sure why. I’ve grown up, knowing that God exists. Never having found a reason to question his/her/its existence, I never have.

Lately though, I have come across not one, but two or three people who either don’t think God exists, or think that God is unnecessary. I dismissed their opinions at first, but I must admit, they did get me to think. Not about whether or not God exists – that is just too debatable (viewers of this blog know that all too well) – but about my reasons for believing.
Have I believed in God till now because I have never thought otherwise? Would I find it hard to give up my belief in God simply because I wouldn’t be able to get used to it? Now, this is very strange for me, but I did quite a bit of soul searching on this one. I’m not one to ask myself such questions! But I think I’ve decided.

I need the faith I have. It’s not the rituals. It’s the belief that (I think) we all need. Temples and idols just give the idea a name. Before a competition, or a performance, or anything big in my life, that minute I spend in front of the Jaganath helps me clear my mind. The few seconds I spend before I go to sleep asking for all the people I care about to be blessed…it doesn’t even do anything! It just makes me feel like, there is someone listening to me, and not judging me.

I’m still not completely sure. Maybe I need the assurance because I’m weak-willed. Maybe it is just because I started off this way. Or maybe it is because I feel protected by my belief. Whatever it is, I am sure that I (speaking for myself) know that there is some being out there that hears me when I don’t want anyone else to. Whatever you atheists say…

If God didn’t exist, it would be necessary to create Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home