Rhythmic Rain...

Monday, December 06, 2004

Vasanthahabba

It was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life! I can’t really even figure out myself what it really was that left a mark in my mind. When people hear about the life I lead during rehearsals, they think “She did that by choice?! She must be out of her mind!” During the last few weeks before the big day, we would go to Nrityagram everyday! Even on days when I had school, I’d leave school about an hour early, and reach home that night past midnight. I still didn’t skip a day of school – why bother since I slept through physics anyways?! – And I, oddly enough, enjoyed every moment of it.

The show itself was just amazing! I was around the best performers in India. There is no other way to put it. I was on stage for the inauguration, and one look at the audience - It was just unbelievable. While practicing at the amphitheatre, I didn’t think that 600 people would manage to sit in a space that small! But there they all were! I couldn’t find my friends of mom in the crowd; I could only see lights and heard so many people shouting! I was looking at only those who managed to get in! I’m not even counting the people watching on the screens outside!

We did the opening item, choreographed by Surupa di, and Rati and I spent the rest of evening watching India’s best classical and contemporary dancers. There was even a male Odissi ensemble. Now, Odissi – for those of you who don’t know – is a very feminine dance form. It was really weird to hear of a male Odissi group. But they were amazing! They brought a completely different style to it!
In spite of the standards, there were some MAJOR washouts, Astad Deboo for example. The guy did three (THREE!) 25-minute pieces! We got really bored!!
The show went on till 4am the next morning! Music and dance the whole night long! It was incredible.


Anyways, to cut a long story short (a bit late for that…but anyhow) it was an amazing experience! And this year, I have been asked to be a part of it again! It is just so amazing that I would be picked out of a group to be a part of HABBA!! But (yes, there is a but to all of this!) rehearsals will be really tough, and they are during the time of my second prelims and practical finals! I still want try and push myself to do it, but I don’t know how it is going to work! I wish I could be at two places at once…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home