Rhythmic Rain...

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I Really Am Confusion Personified!

Nrityagram had a performance a few nights ago. They were brilliant. As usual. There was a new dancer – who I have never seen before. She was really good, but majorly over shadowed by the other two. There was one piece that was performed, that I have learnt as well. They did the exact same steps that we do, but somehow made it look SO much more impressive! They make every movement look instinctive!

Watching them, and thinking about my own dance, I started think – My God, I’m really happy when I’m dancing. I would love to be where they were. I really want to be that good! I don’t know what suddenly put this thought into my head. But there I was sitting and watching them…thinking about the practicalities of moving and living in Nrityagram! It seemed so completely unlike me to think of something like that, and I was aware of the out-of-character-ness of the whole thought process. So I told myself – firmly – that all this passion was because of where I was. Because of who I was watching. Because I was still high on the show. But now, three days later, the idea still seems amazing to me.

It’s not practical. I know it isn’t conventional. But that’s not it. What is making me THINK about it is one – will I still want this five years down the line? and two – do I have the potential to be THAT good (because if I don’t, there really isn’t much point in trying).

I still don’t know if I really want this or it is one of those ideas that pop into one’s mind only to fade away a few months later. I do want a respectable educational qualification, so at least till I have that I’m set.


It’s so frustrating though! Like with biochemistry, advertising and literature…I wasn’t confused ENOUGH!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:54 pm, September 21, 2005, Blogger Meghna said…

    Hey! I DO have faith in myself! I think the LAST thing anyone can accuse me of is low self esteem!

    I just don't like the gambling part! I wish I could be a 100% sure before doing something! And as if I didn't have ENOUGH options to think about...THIS pops into my head! lol

     
  • At 3:21 am, November 05, 2005, Blogger Ranjana said…

    Hi,
    I would say u r lucky to be staying in Bangalore, so close to Nrityagram. I'm stuck in Bombay
    with very academic parents who can never think of dance as a career. In India, a 'formal' degree is still something everyone wants. And I must say 'everyone' includes me. Which is why I have chosen to wait till I graduate and then take the leap - another one after a drastic shift from science to mass media. But leap I will, for sure. Till then, I'll just have to stick with fantasising about Nrityagram for the next three years.
    Ranjana
    http://artsandotherstuff.blogspirit.com
    http://mahatandava.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home