Rhythmic Rain...

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Not Quite As Expected

I can’t get over the way people are over here! It’s so cute! I think I had gross misconceptions about the kind of people scientists are…
Let me tell you what I mean…

I went down to get something to eat for lunch today, and on the way up, there was this guy in the lift. The door opened on the 7th floor for someone else in the lift. There was this Chinese lady standing outside the lift, and she goes “Going up ah?” in a really strong Singaporean accent, and in reply he said “Yes…you don’t want to go up? Why not? Come up…and then go down again!” He sounded Bengali to me but I wasn’t sure…then we both got off on the 8th floor, and since I reached the door first, I scanned the card…and I waited for him, assuming he was going to go first. He just opened the door and went “After yoooooo”. You had to be there! I thought he was really funny. So bindaas!

Later, I went down to meet my guide (who, by the way, wasn’t there) and as I was walking back, this other guy walked out whistling and clicking his heels to “Fur Elise”!!! In this quiet, scientific, air-conditioned corridor, he was whistling loudly to his heart’s content!

Even my guide’s boss! If you saw him, you’d never think he was a scientist! Let alone someone who heads the place! He has curly hair, and wears very Indian khadi kind of clothes…and looks very contented with life all the time! He has a hilarious sense of humour…and somehow makes everyone seem very much at home! He is BRILLIANT, mind you. And SO much fun to listen to!

I love the way people are on their own trips! The way they dress, talk, EVERYTHING! But the Chinese people are all professional! Whatever…the people I’m around are absolutely awesome!

The building looks overwhelmingly professional, the receptionists are all professional and can-I-help-you, even the shop keepers are all good-morning-can-I-help-you and thank-you-have-a-nice-day! Everything is all pristine. But somehow, the people make all the difference! Being here has given an entire new meaning to the phrase “Things aren’t always what they seem”…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home