Rhythmic Rain...

Monday, October 08, 2007

Moving On...

When something amazing happens in my life, I find it hard to forget about it once it’s over. The last few months, I have been living with the hangover of wining Global Challenge and going to UVM. I have talked to people incessantly about it, written about it, kept in touch with people I know I will probably never see again, not to mention thought about how wonderful it all was over and over and over...

Winning that scholarship and going on that trip will always be one of the highpoints in my life. But a few days ago I woke up and realised that I had my head in the clouds with the idea of something glamorous and exciting, while my reality passed me by.

I’ve reached a point where harping on that phase doesn’t make sense any more. It isn’t even the most recent wonderful thing to happen to me, and three months later, I’m the only one still excited by the experience. I was aimlessly looking through my computer when I realised how little I have done since then!

My laptop is now over three months old. I don’t have a single picture of Nrityagram on it... My blog hasn’t been updated since the 18th of August... I haven’t written a letter or a long email for TOO long... and I’ve lost touch with way too many of my friends.


I suppose it hasn’t been so long that I can’t now catch up with my life and carry on, with my feet – and ego – firmly on the ground. So I’m locking all those memories up tight in a little box, putting it away, and returning to reality. About time. All I can say is this: I’m glad that I look around to find my family, friends and life... more or less where I left them.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:30 am, October 11, 2007, Blogger tinuviel said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 2:35 am, October 11, 2007, Blogger tinuviel said…

    I know exactly how that feels. Whenever anything even minutely amazing happens, I just find it SO difficult to get back to ordinary life. Until a friend of mine passed on these lyrics to me.

    We are secrets to each other
    Each one's life a novel
    No one else has read
    Even joined in bonds of love
    We're linked to one another
    By such slender threads

    We are planets to each other
    Drifting in our orbits
    To a brief eclipse
    Each of us a world apart
    Alone and yet together
    Like two passing ships

    Just between us
    I think it's time for us to recognize
    The differences we sometimes fear to show
    Just between us
    I think it's time for us to realize
    The spaces in between
    Leave room for you and I to grow

    We are strangers to each other
    Full of sliding panels
    An illusion show
    Acting well rehearsed routines
    Or playing from the heart?
    It's hard for one to know

    We are islands to each other
    Building hopeful bridges
    On a troubled sea
    Some are burned or swept away
    Some we would not choose
    But we're not always free

    the song is a statement that no matter how close two people get, they still remain disconnected. It is about the acknowledgement of that loneliness. Its a sad romantic song. I provides one with a certain perspective; that we have to live life on our own and not rely on fragile bonds with others. And in that context it is about moving on, you can say
    getting on with one's life and not really expect much from others. If
    others are generous and offer parts of their life, we simply have to deem ourselves lucky. Love is a windfall, not a birthright. The song also talks about our naive efforts at bridging the chasm. That is the part I like the most...its about how hopelessly hopeful we are.

    Someday, I'll explain the exact context of all this (as your mother so amusingly puts it) "crass philosophizing". :D

    love,

    neha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home