Rhythmic Rain...

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Driven Up The Conventional Wall

This is techincally a made up dialogue - a result of combining real conversations with two or three of my aquaintences. And just so you know, if I EVER - by some cosmic disaster - begin to talk like this, you have my full permission to thwap me on the head with a dictionary.

X – Meghna! Dah-ling! How are you…it's been too too long! Let me give you a hug!
Me (after the air above each cheek has been kissed) – Hey... yes it has been! Been busy with college plans that's all. What are yours by the way?
X – Oh I decided not to go to college. I realised that the conventional education system just wasn't for me. I'm going to take some time to get to know myself. Explore my soul. Spend some time to work on my sound. You should hear me sometime!
Me – Oh, you're into music? I didn't know you were!
X – I never was really. But it seems to have found me you know? My sound is quite indescribable... I try to combine a whole lot of things really... a kaleidoscope of all my talents if you will. I despise these conventional musicans who "experiment" with a hotch potch of too many things! Simple combination of everything. That's the key.
Me – *ahem* really... That sounds... great! Where are you planning to learn?
X – I am doing it myself. How hard is it eh? I think one learns best when it comes from within oneself.
Me (biting back the urge to yell) – yes, maybe...but still, you don't think some training would...

X – Maybe for other people, but you know how I can't be conventional. It's a curse really. So! What are your plans?
Me – I decided to do a B.Sc... Taking chemistry and microbiology.
X – Aw Meg, you haven't changed a bit! Still the same old square science dork I knew and loved!
Me (trying to laugh off the irritation) – Am I? Heh...
X (using hand like a fan) - God. I don't know how you take science. There's no room for any originality! How do you know where the white suit ends... and you begin?
Me – Right. Well... I'll manage... So you just turned 18! Did you do anything special?
X – Nah… Everyone looks forward to their 18 th birthday. I decided to celebrate the day I turn 17 and three quarters.
Me (choking on my drink) - *cough* what?
X – You know how I hate to be…

Me – Conventional! I know. It's not a bad thing you know?
X – No I suppose not... it's just so difficult to stand out!
Me – Everyone seems to be so caught up with being "different" these days. Being conventional is so rare now, maybe I'M the rebel here!

X - Oh you DO know how to make me laugh! We both know who is the weird one between the two of us.
Me - Eccentricity isn't cool when it's put on you know...
X – Yes, you're right! I despise those people who pretend to be different, but aren't really...and dislike things only because everyone else does, and quote motivational quotes all the time. You know, Confusious summed it quite nicely when he said...
Me – Good heavens, aren't you a being a little hypocritical?
X – Not at all. The difference is, I actually believe the quote! Now, tell me... don't you think that the new book by... oh whatshisname... the one nominated for the Booker this year? Don't you think it was simply ghastly? Never read anything more pretentious in my life!

Me - *faint*

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home