Rhythmic Rain...

Friday, May 18, 2007

Age Old Problem

“Music and Lyrics”… “Provoked”… “A Good German”… “Metro”… These are all movies that I had trouble seeing. Why? Because I am all of SIX months less than 18 years old.

Most NORMAL people get away with it by throwing a very believable temper tantrum. I showed an ID card with my year of birth on it… Yes I know – the sheer stupidity of it all sickens me. But I can’t lie to save my life! So I showed them. Luckily there was a very sweet chubby old guy security guard there who I flashed a little smile at. He let me in with a roll of his eyes that said Oh all right!! Yay!

My friend of course couldn’t try that immediately after me… So…
“Oh God… Not this again! You cannot seriously expect me to believe that I don’t look over 18 to you. Come on don’t waste my time – my movie is about to start!” When my friend tried that, the security lady looked most flustered and did the whole I’m-so-sorry-ma’am-of-course-of-course routine and let her in.


Huh. That was SO cool…! So I tried it the next time! “Don’t I LOOK 18 to you?! Oh please don’t start this now… I don’t have the time for this. Just let me through!” The security lady looked completely unflustered. Even with her thick accent, she had me! “Wokay I believe ma… But I need see ID first.”

Wha…?? What did I do differently? Do I just give off an immature VIBE?! I have a feeling it isn’t going to be very different in six months! Maybe it will be once I’m wearing thick glasses, have grey hair, and am walking in with my grand-daughter.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:11 am, May 23, 2007, Blogger Oxymoron said…

    well well, deja vu.. how most of us experienced this sometime or another.. what do they think we don't know stuff when we're 17 years and 10 months old??? or will we learn everything about life in a month!! they so need to change the rules and apply some logic.. for once!

     
  • At 8:06 am, May 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well...bout the age limit...u've gotta start somewhere you see...otherwise even a 14, 15 n 16 yr old will try n use your logic of already knowin everythiin...don ya thin??and btw...try rex..they let in a 10 yr old kid with candy in her hands..

     
  • At 7:35 pm, May 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is for Pat....

    Why are we losing our sense of humour? Richard Gere's parody of the Shall We Dance kiss, Russel Peters' jokes, does everything have to be taken so seriously? Meghna's post looks to me to be a light-hearted take on age restrictions. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

     
  • At 10:37 pm, May 30, 2007, Blogger Meghna said…

    Anonymous... you took the words straight out of my mouth!

    In any case...my logic was not letting me in cuz I know everything was it?!
    My point was merely that it is irritating to be restricted on a technicality of 5 months.
    Also, I hate rex. Stupid theatre.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home